Monday, May 25, 2009

Velocity Trip






So I know I said I would post about a week ago, but I had outdoor nationals for track and field and getting my stuff packed for this trip left me with little time to post. So the trip for Velocity was a fun. Since I was leaving for nationals the next day I did not particpate in the workout. But the rest of our class did. I also work at Velocity part time so I knew all of the drills and practices that they went through. Here is a phot of the group before they started the workout.



We started out with a dynamic warm-up which was a little longer than usual. When athletes come to train at Velocity they train in one of three areas. Multi-Directional is practicing moving in different directions and being able to cut and pivot and other related movements. Acceleration is when the students work on building up from 0 to 100 % as fast possible. Maximum Velocity is the ability to maintain 100 % fro as long as possible. Each dynamic warm-up is tailored to it's individual discipline. Since we were there just for a sample we included parts of all three disciplines into the dynamic warm-up.


We then did specific drills that pertained to each discipline and this is a picture of the group doing an acceleration drill. After we did drills in each discipline we went into the weight room where the classes at Velocity focus on the Olympic movements (snatch, clean, jerk, etc). Our class went through a tutorial on how to do a hang clean and each person in the group demonstrated the movement. The next picture is one of the students performing the exercise.


We then ended the workout by stretching and the performance coach answered any questions that we had that could be used to for our conditioning programs. Overall the experience was a great one and the group seemed to benefit greatly from the session. We are leaving for Colorado today so I will have another post shortly about our first two days in Colorado. Until then talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment